Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken 'n Dumplin's-- CrockPot Style



If it's chicken smothered in a gravy-esque sauce, The Mr. can't get enough.  Throw in some doughy/carby goodness, and he'll call it his favorite.

Recently I compiled a recipe book for a friend's Christmas present, and gave it to The Mr. to peruse.  "Where's the Chicken 'n Dumplin's recipe?" he asked.

"The one for the CrockPot?" I replied.

"Yeah, that one.  It's probably my favorite thing that you make."

Beat.

.... I cannot tell you the last time I made this meal, but it apparently left quite an impression.  Had I known that it was held in such high regard, I probably would have made it sometime in the last year!...

This is a great basic recipe because it only has a few ingredients. The bonus? It's another one of those throw-it-in-the-pot-and-leave-it-alone kind of recipes-- and you all know how much I love those :)

Source:  www.allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts (And yes, I just threw them in still frozen.  Have I told you lately how much I love my CrockPot?)

2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup

2 T. butter

1 onion, diced

Water (enough to cover contents of the pot)

2 10-oz. cans of refrigerated biscuit dough

Directions:

1.  Combine chicken, soup, onion, butter, and water in CrockPot. 

2.  Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.  

3.  Tear apart pieces of the biscuit dough and add to the mix.  Use a spoon to submerge pieces (This will help the dough to absorb the flavors).

4.  Continue cooking on HIGH for 60-90 minutes.

Verdict: Keeper (with some revision)
While The Mr. is crazy about this meal, I'm still not ga-ga over it.  I'd like to add more herbs and seasonings to see how it goes, maybe some poultry seasoning and pepper.  I'll definitely make it again, though. 

2 comments:

  1. We like chicken and dumplings a crockpot version will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I tried these additions, and THIS is what I will add in the future with this base recipe:

    *Used a can of chicken broth instead of the water
    *2-3 celery stalks, chopped
    *1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
    *1/4 tsp. pepper
    *1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    *Large pinch of dried parsley flakes

    Also, I added an extra can of biscuit dough, torn into pieces, mainly to see how "bready" it would get. Both versions work well-- so you decide how much you want to include when you make it for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete