Thursday, January 7, 2010

CrockPot Pork Chops and Veggies

It's cold.

I know, I know! I'm a sissy.  But seriously, when the temperatures get to 35 degrees and lower, all I want to do is eat hot, gravy-covered, stick-to-your-ribs kind of meals.

Like this one. 





Ingredients:

4-6 pork chops (I used 4 boneless chops)

4-5 potatoes (but I only had 3)

1 onion, sliced

3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced

2-3 celery stalks

1 can of either cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup (I used cream of celery because it needed to be used up!)

Salt and Pepper to taste. 

Directions:

Grease the slow cooker.

Add onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, pork chops, salt and pepper, and soup (in that order). 

Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. (It smelled "ready" by 6 hours, but we ate it closer to 8 hours because The Mr. was sleeping off a cold)

Verdict: Keeper, but needs revision

This was definitely not my finest first-time try with a recipe.  But I will try it again sometime, because it has potential.  Here is what I may do for the future:

1.  Add another can of soup to the mix.

2.  Season the chops themselves before putting them in the slow cooker.  The meat was good, just kind of bland.  Also, I may consider putting the onions on top of the pork next time, so the meat can absorb some of the flavor.

3.  This version cooked for too long-- next time, I'll eat it closer to 6 hours than 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment