Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CrockPot Potato Soup

You know what's great about winter?  Snow.  Lots and lots of snow. 

You know what's better than snow?  The Snow Days we get off of school because of it!

While it wasn't a surprise, it's always great to get that phone call early in the morning.  The downside of this morning's phone call was that I couldn't get back to sleep...  so, I decided to be a little domestic diva today and try making something I've never made before:  Potato Soup. 

Which brings me to a topic I've never encountered until today-- potato soup vs. cream of potato soup.  Till today, it had never occurred to me that there was a difference between these two.  Sure, I've heard people say both names, but I just figured it was laziness-- I figured when a person said "potato soup," they were shortening the name of "cream of potato." 

Apparently, there is a difference.  According to one of my friends, one is brothy-based, and one is cream-based.  Now that I know this difference, I'm not sure if what I made today is actually "Potato Soup."  It has broth in it, but... it's pretty damn creamy, too (how could it not be creamy with sour cream and evaporated milk?)  Maybe I could compromise and call it "Creamy Potato Soup." 




Regardless, it was good-- good enough for The Mr. to get a second helping.  So, I'll make it again someday... whatever it's called.

Ingredients:

5-6 potatos, peeled and cubed

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 stalks celery

3 cans chicken broth

1 tsp. salt

1/4 black pepper

1 can of evaporated milk

3 T. flour, divided

1 c. sour cream

1 tsp. dried oregano

2 T. chives, dried and snipped

Directions:

Place potatoes, onion, garlic, celery, broth, salt and pepper in CrockPot.  Cook on LOW till potatoes are tender (about 6-8 hours).

Once potatoes are tender, coarsely mash them with a masher.


After mashing, combine evaporated milk and 2 T. flour in a separate bowl and mix well.  Stir into CrockPot mix and cook on HIGH for 20-30 minutes. 

Place sour cream in small bowl and mix with 1 T. flour; add some of the hot soup liquid; stir well with wire whisk to blend. Gently stir into crockpot along with oregano and chives, and cook on high for 20 minutes longer.

Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.

Serves 8-10

Verdict: Needs revision

2T of chives might have been too much. I don't know if "chivey" is a word, but that's what I used to describe this soup.  Next time, I'll cut it back to 1 T. of chives.

Also, I'd like it to be a little smoother than it was-- I don't know what I'll do to achieve this goal, but it's worth pursuing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment